Cure Bronchial Asthma with Ayurvedic Home Remedies
Bronchial Asthma is caused by excess Kapha dosha in human body.
Ayurveda focuses on moving khapa accumulated in the lungs and bronchi to the stomach and then removing it from there.
Allergy – which triggers asthma and wheezing is an indication of internal disharmony and unhealthy lifestyle.
Khapa reducing diet that helps with asthma:
- Fast - for 3 to 9 days on lime juice and honey for first half of your fasting period and then move to a fruit juice diet to nourish the body and eliminate toxins.
- Intermittent Fasting - Done for a day every week or every fortnight. It helps to detoxify the body and increases resistance against infections and diseases.
- Include Alkaline Foods – Like fresh fruits, green vegetables, germinated gram, etc.
- Avoid Acidic Foods – Like rice, sugar, curd, fried foods, etc.
Remedy for Immediate Relief from Wheezing
Image: Licorice Roots
Get immediate relief from wheezing and asthma with this tea - as explained by Dr. Vasant Lad in his book - The Complete Book of Ayurvedic Home Remedies:
Boil 1 teaspoon of licorice root (yasti madhu) in a cup of water for a couple of minutes to make a licorice tea. Just before drinking the tea, add 5 to 10 drops od mahanarayan oil if you have some, or use ½ teaspoon of plain ghee. Take one sip of this tea every 5 to 10 minutes.
In some instances, the licorice tea may induce vomiting. This is beneficial: It eliminates khapa and relives the spasm of the bronchial tubes, and the person usually feels better immediately.
You can use this licorice tea not only for emergencies but, if you are prone to develop asthma, every day as a preventive. The only exception is that individuals with hypertension should not use much licorice tea, as it makes the body retain sodium. They may take it as an emergency measure to avert an asthma attack, but they should not drink it regularly.
Note: Prepare the tea as soon as you begin to feel an attack coming on, when there is tightness in the chest, some difficulty breathing, or whatever warning bell symptoms you recognize from past experiences. Don’t wait until you are already having serious problems breathing.
Once you prepare the tea, it can last for 72 hours and not lose its effectiveness.
Inhaling warm and moist air can help clearing the bronchial track and provide relief from wheezing.
Add peppermint to the water while taking steam to relax the bronchial muscles and reduce inflammation. (R)
Ayurvedic Home remedies to prevent Bronchal Asthma
- Garlic must be cooked or heated to help with asthma.
- Boil 300 to 400 ml of milk with finely chopped garlic and drink twice a day to prevent and cure asthma.
- Garlic and Ginger tea also relieves wheezing and helps with bronchial asthma
- It has anti-inflamatory, anti-allergen and antioxidant properties that helps with asthma. (R)
- Garlic is an amazing herb that has been traditionally used by Egyptians Romans and medieval Arabs to treat asthma.
Turmeric when taken with a glass of milk 2 to 3 times a days helps with bronchial asthma. For maximum benefits take it on empty stomach.
Honey helps is thinning out mucus and clearing the respiratory passages. It inhibits the formation of mucus and reduces airway inflammation. (R)